IEC61850bean (formerly known as OpenIEC61850) is an open source implementation of the IEC 61850 standard licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. The library is written in Java and consists of an MMS client and server.
The software stack was designed with three main goals in mind:
- Simplicity: The stack’s interface was designed to be easy to use, hiding the complexity of this extensive standard behind a simple API.
- Scalability: Measurements as part of a dissertation have shown that IEC61850bean processing performance is comparable to that of high-performing C implementations.
- Compatibility: The stack is written in pure Java and runs on all major operating systems including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
IEC61850bean supports the following IEC 61850 services:
- All GetDirectory and GetDataDefinition services
- GetDataValues and SetDataValues
- Data set services
- Unbuffered reporting
- Buffered reporting (client only)
- Control services
The library also includes simple console client and server applications which can be used for testing and simulation purposes.
Now beanit partners with OpenMUC and MZ-Automation to support all your IEC 61850 needs:
Move from OpenMUC
Thanks to the Fraunhofer ISE, the IEC61850bean project (then known as OpenIEC61850) was moved in 2019 from openmuc.org to beanit.com. The OpenMUC team, a group of sophisticated software developers and researchers at Fraunhofer ISE. If you have needs for application development, they would make a great choice. In addition openmuc.org offers a large number of other monitoring protocols such as IEC 60870-5-104 and a powerful OSGi based platform for monitoring and control.
C Stack by MZ-Automation
In case Java is not an option for you (e.g. if you want to implement a server on very resource constrained systems) you can also consider libiec61850 which is an IEC 61850 implementation in C by MZ-Automation.